Changing habits can be hard, right?! If you’ve ever had to change your diet, quit smoking, or get fit, for example, you know how tough it can be to stick to a new way of doing things. It’s no secret that getting the help of a nutritionist, personal trainer or even a physical therapist, greatly increases your chances of being successful and reaching your goals. Like nutrition and fitness, sleep – this often overlooked, but crucial piece of the puzzle – is just as important to your family’s health and development. And much like nutrition and fitness, there are a lot of books out there claiming to have the solution for better sleep. While books and articles can be helpful, but just as with getting healthy, there is no substitute for having an expert in your corner every step of the way. If your little one is struggling with sleep issues, and you haven’t been able to resolve them on your own, a Sleep Consultant can help your family get the healthy sleep you need! Here’s how:
- An objective assessment – When you join a new gym, for faster progress, you will likely want to meet with a trainer and nutritionist, and go over exactly how you will be able to achieve your fitness goals. Although we may not look forward to stepping on the scale, talking about our diet and taking those dreaded measurements (cringe!), the process is essential to getting you on the right path. Knowing where you start helps you figure out where you are going and how to get to the finish line. Similarly, with a sleep consultant, we need to talk about those frustrating bedtimes, midnight feedings, or accidental naps. And, oftentimes it can be challenging to look at your own situation and be objective. We are usually just too close to our situation to sort out the details, especially when you are sleep deprived! A Sleep Consultant will take a detailed and thorough look at your situation, your little one’s sleep challenges, including their temperament, personality, feedings, schedule, environment and more. You’d be amazed how many different factors can affect sleep!
- Education and planning – Based on the results of your initial assessment, your Consultant will use her knowledge and experience to put together a winning strategy that fits your family’s needs and reflects your style and parenting philosophies in addition to recommending tools to help you be successful. The same way a financial advisor can help you save for retirement or the kids’ college education, it’s essential to have a clear step-by-step plan that will get you where you want to go.
- Moral Support – You’ve heard that “it takes a village to raise a child,” and especially in these modern times, it can be hard to reach out to our “villagers” for help. A Sleep Consultant will become a part of your village to support and encourage you on days when things get tough. The first few years of your little one’s life is full of change – daily sometimes! And staying on top of her changing patterns while staying focused is no easy task. Much like a nutritionist will help you tweak your eating plan if you stop losing the weight you need, or hit a plateau, your sleep consultant can make adjustments so you don’t have to stay “stuck.”
- Staying on track – Sleep regressions, teething, colds, and everything in between can disrupt your little one’s (and your family’s) sleep. There’s no way to keep these from happening, but having a Sleep Consultant by your side means you will be better prepared for the ups and downs. Like an athlete (as all us parents are!) may need the help of a physical therapist to get back on our feet after an injury, your consultant will be there to put the pieces back together and make sure you have the best strategy to help you get back on track.
- Expert advice and experience – Your sleep consultant isn’t just educated on the science of sleep and all of the different sleep coaching strategies out there, but she also has the experience of working with many other babies and toddlers, knowing what works and what doesn’t. If you are lucky (and we definitely hope that you are!), your sleep consultant may have an entire team of experts to consult with and bring to you decades of combined experience. Your little one is unique and he may not follow the plan the way a book says he should. And if this happens, how would you ask the book a question? Your consultant will be with you every step of the journey and help you tweak your plan, adjust strategies, update your little one’s schedule and feeding recommendations as he grows, and answer questions whenever you need it.
The journey to better sleep can be full of setbacks and unknowns, but you don’t need go it alone! Your Sleep Consultant will be there to listen, provide guidance, support and expert advice, so that your little one and your family can get the healthy sleep you deserve!
Nicole Johnson is a married mother of two wonderful boys and owner of The Baby Sleep Site. When her eldest son was born, he had a lot of sleep problems – he would wake every one or two hours, all night long! She got busy and thoroughly researched literature and scientific reports until she became an expert in sleep methods, scheduling routines, baby developmental needs, and more. She overcame her son’s sleeping issues in a way that matched her own parenting style, and knew it was her mission to help other tired parents “find their child’s sleep”. Nicole is now a leading author and pioneer in individualized and holistic sleep coaching strategies. If you have your own sleep issues, Nicole and her team at The Baby Sleep Site® can help! Just think of them as a virtual extension of your “village.” Their services include holistic sleep coaching solutions — their signature Personalized Sleep PlanTM, and many complementary services from e-books, sample schedules, and a blog — that are built around your needs, your parenting style, and your child’s temperament. The Baby Sleep Site® has worked with more moms than anyone else out there. With 500,000 newsletter recipients, over 80,000 moms look for their expertise on Facebook, and over 30,000 in their Sleep Helpdesk. They welcome new faces to their village each and every day!
Download their signature free e-book, 5 Ways To Help Your Child Sleep Through The Night, to get started today.
Author: Nicole Johnson
President and Lead Sleep Consultant, The Baby Sleep Site, Helping You and Your Baby Sleep.